Game thread: New York Knicks vs Golden State Warriors 12/14/2021 7:30pm [Game #28]

rady

Administrator
Staff member

gt.png

GSW.gif
at.png
NYK.gif

(22-5) -- (12-15)

VenueTVTIME
Madison Square Garden, New York, NYMSG7:30 PM EST

Probable starters:

away.png
i
i
i
i
i

home.png
i
i
i
i
i

Injury Report

Golden State WarriorsNew York Knicks
Otto Porter - Rest (OUT)Quentin Grimes - Medical protocols (OUT)
James Wiseman - Right knee torn meniscus (OUT)RJ Barrett - Medical protocols (OUT)
Klay Thompson - Torn Achilles (OUT)Obi Toppin - Medical protocols (OUT)
-Kemba Walker - Out of rotation (OUT)

Game Preview

Fans of the New York Knicks have spent most of the past dozen years wondering what might have been if Stephen Curry lasted one pick later in the 2009 NBA Draft.

On Tuesday night, a capacity crowd at Madison Square Garden will get a unique glimpse at what Curry has become. The superstar will aim to break Ray Allen's NBA record for career 3-pointers when he leads the Warriors into the Big Apple for their annual visit to play the Knicks.

The Warriors will be completing a back-to-back set after Curry scored a game-high 26 points and moved within one 3-pointer of tying Allen on Monday night as Golden State edged the Indiana Pacers 102-100 in Indianapolis. Curry went 5-for-15 from beyond the arc.

The reeling Knicks will be completing a brief homestand against a pair of title contenders after falling to the defending NBA champion Milwaukee Bucks 112-97 on Sunday afternoon.

Allen finished his Hall of Fame career with 2,973 3-pointers in 1,300 regular-season games. Curry, who ended Monday with 2,972 3-pointers, is likely to break the record in his 789th regular-season game -- the equivalent of more than six full seasons faster than Allen.

"I'm enjoying the moment, knocking on the doorstep," Curry said Monday night. "It's pretty surreal."

And yet as Curry admitted after another subpar -- at least by his standards -- outside shooting performance Monday night, the record-breaking 3-pointer can't come soon enough. Curry, a career 43.2 percent 3-point shooter, is shooting 36.8 percent (32 of 87) from beyond the arc in six games this month. He has hit more than 40 percent of his attempts in a game just twice in that span.

"Let's be honest, there's a lot of hype around this record, and sometimes that gets everybody rushing, playing out of your skin a little bit," Curry said.

Breaking the 3-point record will further cement Curry's status as a generational player. Since being drafted seventh overall by the Warriors in 2009 -- one pick before the Knicks selected Jordan Hill, who played just 24 games in New York and played 409 games for five franchises over eight seasons -- Curry has won two scoring titles, captured two MVP awards and led Golden State to three NBA championships.

The Knicks, who have won one postseason series this century, appeared to be closer to building a contender after going 41-31 and snapping a seven-year playoff drought last season.

However, they have struggled to establish an identity this season, going 7-14 since starting 5-1. New York, which hasn't won back-to-back games since a three-game winning streak from Oct. 26-30, has dropped its last three games, with double-digit defeats to the Indiana Pacers and the Bucks sandwiching a three-point loss to the Toronto Raptors.

A rapidly depleting roster hasn't made the Knicks' task any easier. With Obi Toppin and RJ Barrett in COVID-19 protocols, Alec Burks witnessing the birth of his child and Kemba Walker buried in head coach Tom Thibodeau's doghouse, New York played just nine players Sunday -- including rookie Miles McBride, who was on the court for a mere 46 seconds.

"We fell short. Anytime you fall short, there's disappointment," Thibodeau said. "Our margin of error is real small right now."

Game preview courtesy of:
--Field Level Media

(STATS / cbssports.com)

tiger0330

Legend
Steph will set the record tonight. His Warrior teammates will let him take 35 shots if they have to, to let him make 2 3 pointers. Let?s hope he goes 2-35 and he breaks the record but we win the game.

Kiyaman

Legend
Thanks for the Game-Thread Rady .. The Knicks & Curry are going to blow-up the ratings tonite!
I was a big fan of Ray Allen, I only wish it was him who created the New NBA 3 Ball contest every NBA Game !!!

3- Ball Super-Star Steph Curry passed Ray Allen record the first 5 min into the Knicks game !!!
The Garden went Crazyeee !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Half-Time Knicks 48 - GSW 47

The GSW performance are showing us the same way they turn it off, they could regroup and turn it back on, and may turn up the volume.in the 2nd half.
luv Deuce speed, he's missing Grime's & Obi Toppin & Quickley's speed in an exciting transitional lineup !!!

mafra

Legend
Knox looks ready to shoot and has a quick trigger. Give him credit for staging ready. Play some defense, pass, defend? get more PT

Knox had a very good night defensively and offensively. His switching was very good along with his rebounding. Played 20 minutes but only took 4 shots. McBride took too many shots and thought he was hot. Of course the other case of character took their usual amount of shots.

mafra

Legend
10-9 with Kemba
2-7 without

He better be dealt tomorrow, as in they have a deal in place for him, otherwise WTF!

mafra

Legend
Knox had a very good night defensively and offensively. His switching was very good along with his rebounding. Played 20 minutes but only took 4 shots. McBride took too many shots and thought he was hot. Of course the other case of character took their usual amount of shots.

Kind of feels like NY showcasing him? if that?s even possible?. Be interesting to see if he?s tossed into a deal or not. After being written off and sitting for 18 months, I give him credit for staying ready. He deserves PT

mafra

Legend
Interesting tweet

The Knicks only gave up 105pts to the Warriors. Their defense wasn?t that bad. They scored 16pts in the 3rd Qtr, had 18 total assists and shot 36%

What game are you guys watching?

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks are 2-7 without Kemba Walker in the rotation .. having Kemba in the rotation we win some, we lose some but we stayed above .500 for 20 games into the season, while the new & old starters keep on meshing each game to build a consistent winning chemistry lineup.
PLUS ...
When a team have 12 healthy rotation players, and the starter-lineup are performing like BUMS.
And the team 2nd unit bench lineup are playing winning basketball .. What should the team head-coach do when he's playing every game to win?
Should the coach start giving the starter-lineup players 18 minute per game to work on their chemistry problem. And give the D.Rose 2nd unit winner lineup players 32 minute of playing time to win each game having a 10-Man rotation building chemistry as a unit?
Or should the head coach do the same as coach Thibs, and play the Blame-Game by taking a player out of the rotation, then start playing a 9-Man rotation by mixing some of the 2nd unit lineup players into the starter lineup, And while doing this the Knicks team go 2-7 in the next 9 games.

Wow! Fournier nonexistence performance in the last 4 games has taken him out of the Dec 15. trade rumors at $17M per. Maybe at Feb. trade deadline.
Fournier's 29 min tonight has a lot of Knicks fans pssssd !!!

Kiyaman

Legend
Knox has been hitting nothing but net with some shots since being inserted into the line-up.

Knox is playing hard on both sides of the court so he could be traded on Dec 15. to a team that's gonna give him decent playing time every night. .
I want Deuce to put more energy and science into getting DIMES, instead of being a scorer.

tiger0330

Legend
The Knicks are 2-7 without Kemba Walker in the rotation .. having Kemba in the rotation we win some, we lose some but we stayed above .500 for 20 games into the season, while the new & old starters keep on meshing each game to build a consistent winning chemistry lineup.
PLUS ...
When a team have 12 healthy rotation players, and the starter-lineup are performing like BUMS.
And the team 2nd unit bench lineup are playing winning basketball .. What should the team head-coach do when he's playing every game to win?
Should the coach start giving the starter-lineup players 18 minute per game to work on their chemistry problem. And give the D.Rose 2nd unit winner lineup players 32 minute of playing time to win each game having a 10-Man rotation building chemistry as a unit?
Or should the head coach do the same as coach Thibs, and play the Blame-Game by taking a player out of the rotation, then start playing a 9-Man rotation by mixing some of the 2nd unit lineup players into the starter lineup, And while doing this the Knicks team go 2-7 in the next 9 games.

Wow! Fournier nonexistence performance in the last 4 games has taken him out of the Dec 15. trade rumors at $17M per. Maybe at Feb. trade deadline.
Fournier's 29 min tonight has a lot of Knicks fans pssssd !!!
The guy (Fournier) has been a near bust with us. Anyone we seem to get seems to get worse when we get them, he?s shooting below his career numbers and scored in single digits the last 5 games. I?d love to deal him to the Pacers for Turner Sabonis or Lavert.